Saturday, June 5, 2010

What is good business about helping those that cannot buy?

Over the last 18 months Campaign 82 has completely changed its focus into one group in the marketplace...  Those that have been turned down and are having trouble getting a home loan. 
Now most people in the industry would see this as an insane gesture for business.  There is very little guaranty that we can help a situation and even further guaranty that we can motivate others to take the steps that are needed to overcome the obstacles and buy a home.  So why do we do what we do? 
The answer is we have a fundamental belief that every individual with a desire to own a home should have the chance to do so.  This belief is at the core of our business model... it is why we go to work in the morning and now the very reason Campaign 82 exists. 
Just take a minute and imagine what compels a person to apply for home ownership.  Most people in the U.S. have the desire to have a home of their own at some point in their lives.  It is still the American dream and the first rung on the economic ladder for future security and stability.  It brings ownership to a community and therefor true "community" exists.  Multiple studies show that children brought up in owned homes versus rented homes have higher achievement levels in education, lower behavioral problems, and a more positive development process due to stability.  Home ownership helps strengthen neighborhoods and community and so we cannot just keep reading about the people who want to buy a home but cannot.  Is the problem with the housing market that we do not have enough buyers or that we do not have enough answers for the ones who want to buy?  I would argue it is the latter and that is why I spend my days researching alternatives and programs for those who are willing but not able.

When we talk about reinventing real estate and an industry as a whole I have one suggestion and that is to think about why you do what you do.  As real estate agents we spend entirely too much time thinking about what and how but never why
Which agent would you choose:
Agent A "Hello my name is Amanda and I am a real estate agent.  I sell homes and negotiate contracts.  This year I have closed over 5 million in home purchases.   I give great customer service and have 12 references.  Can I be your agent?"
Agent B "Hello my name is Amanda and I want to hand you the keys to your first home.  Everyday I try to make my community a better place by encouraging homeownership.  Every person has the right to the American Dream and I am proud to say it is why I get up in the mornings.  I also happen to be a real estate agent, could I be yours?"
So when you go out today and speak to potential and current clients keep in mind the why's and I would dare to say that they will trust your passion before they trust your resume, they will follow your motivation before they follow your CMA, and they will follow their dreams because you folow yours. 

Amanda Dailey
Campaign 82

No comments:

Post a Comment